Sunday, November 13, 2016

Grænkál

Kale in the school garden in Ísafjörður

...in Icelandic cuisine


Kale is fast-growing and hardy, but doesn't like heat or moist soil - so this vegetable is of course ideal for Iceland.

While we often say that kale should only be harvested after the first frost because then the glucose content of the cabbage leaves is higher, in Iceland you can harvest it from the end of September due to the cooler temperatures there, so the kale season is significantly longer than in Iceland us.

So far I haven't really had a particularly good relationship with kale, but since I've come across it so often in my old Icelandic cookbooks and in a current Icelandic cooking magazine, I thought - you had to give it a try...! And I worked a bit on the kale.

In Icelandic cuisine, kale is consumed in very different forms, not only boiled or stewed for a long time, but also briefly cooked and also raw in salads. By the way, fresh kale is one of the foods richest in vitamin C and is therefore not only delicious, but also very healthy.


I've picked out a few Icelandic kale recipes for the next few days that I'd like to feature here in the blog!

Kale at the Witchcraft Museum in Hólmavík



[Translated from here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment