Saturday, March 9, 2019

Farewell tour of Smørgås Nordisk

Shortly before -

Scandinavian food in Frankfurt


The Smørgås Nordisk Restaurant opened in Frankfurt-Bornheim in May 2014. So for five years now we've had a Scandinavian restaurant in the neighborhood, just 12 km away, and yet we've only just managed to go out to eat there. Unfortunately, the restaurant will close again on March 17, 2019.

My husband gave me the evening at Smørgås Nordisk for my birthday last week. It took us less than half an hour by car (despite rush hour traffic through Frankfurt), but it took us another 20 minutes to look for a parking space in Bornheim. We finally found a parking space at Günthersburgpark and walked about 10 minutes to the restaurant on Burgstrasse.

Smørgås Nordisk Restaurant in Bornheim

We were there in the evening and didn't have a serious camera (after all, we weren't "on duty"), just our cell phones, and the photos were the same. But I still wanted to show it to you so you can get an impression!

The menu at Smørgås Nordisk is small, but everything sounds delicious and very Scandinavian. There is also a relatively large drinks menu, including "Gin in Icelandic" (gin, ginger, strawberry punch and tonic).

I had a homemade strawberry-lime lemonade, my husband chose the black beer with honey ("Odin's Trunk"). We were also served crispbread with a delicious spicy dip.


As a starter, my husband chose the Smørgås fish soup, with lots of vegetables and fish pieces. The smell alone was promising!


From the daily menu I chose the cream of pea soup, with walnuts and chutney. I thought it was great, with the slightly sweet chutney, the crunchy nuts... just like the fish soup, there was also a slice of bread. I think it was a rye bread, a bit fluffier and less moist than Icelandic Rúgbrauð, but definitely tasty.


For the main course my husband had the Älgköttbullar, i.e. elk meatballs with mushrooms, brown sauce and mashed potatoes - a lot of mashed potatoes, after a portion like that you should be really full!


I chose the Andebryst, i.e. the duck breast. There was also raspberry jus, small dill potatoes and grilled fennel. Everything was really, really tasty, and I particularly liked the grilled fennel.


Actually, we were already very full, but when liquorice ice cream is on the menu, I just can't resist - and I didn't want to! So we shared a ball. The ice cream was still a bit soft because it had only been made at midday and wasn't completely frozen yet. We were "warned" but still wanted to try it. And it was worth it - it tasted exactly how perfect licorice ice cream should taste, if you ask me. And I have experience with licorice ice cream!


Happy food blogger with licorice ice cream


All in all, we paid €50 for the evening with food and drinks for two. And it was definitely worth it. It's a shame that we only managed to eat there at the last minute... we should have gone there more often!

Smørgås Nordisk will close on March 17, 2019.





[Translated from here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment