Monday, February 22, 2021

Mannagrjónasúpa

Semolina soup


In my old, beloved Icelandic cookbook from 1945, which I once bought at Kolaportið, the flea market in Reykjavík, there is the section "Hversdagsréttir", or "everyday dishes". The capital contains, among other things, many different sweet soups based on skimmed milk, such as rice soup, buckwheat soup, pearl barley soup, milk noodles, ... I tried the semolina soup here because I am a passionate semolina fan. You can also eat the semolina soup with cinnamon!

(However, I only prepared a small portion; unfortunately the rest of my family is only partially enthusiastic about sweet main dishes.)


Ingredients for 4 - 6 servings

3 liters of skimmed milk
150 g semolina
1 tsp salt

Sugar cinnamon


Preparation

Place the milk in a large pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.

When the milk boils, sprinkle in the semolina and stir thoroughly.


Then let the soup cook for about 20 - 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Then add salt to the soup, stir again...


...and serve with sugar and cinnamon.

I also had some rhubarb jam with it.





[Translated from here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment