Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Rauðaldinsúpa

Tomato soup


Before I (hopefully!) go back to Iceland in four days, I'm still busy harvesting in my garden here. I have more red tomatoes hanging on my bushes every day, so I looked through my beloved old Icelandic cookbook for recipes with tomatoes - and first tried this tomato soup here (I only made a small portion, though).

Nowadays, tomato in Icelandic means " tómatur ", so you can quickly find your way around. Tomatoes used to be called “ rauðaldin ,” which literally means “red fruit.”


Ingredients for 4 servings

1kg tomatoes
1 onion
1 liter of water
2 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp flour
2 l meat broth
4 Tbsp port wine or 2 Tbsp vinegar
2 tsp coarse sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper


Preparation

Wash the tomatoes and cut them into small pieces.



Peel and dice the onion.

Then put the tomato and onion pieces in a large pot with 1 liter of water...


...and let it simmer slowly until everything is a nice, soft porridge.

Melt the butter in a second pot.

Add the flour and whisk with the melted butter.


Then pour in the meat broth in portions, stirring constantly.


Now press the cooked tomatoes through a sieve...


...and add to the butter-flour-meat broth in the second pot.


Let the mixture simmer again for about 10 minutes.

Then season with port wine or vinegar as well as salt and pepper.

The soup is then served with toasted white bread.






[Translated from here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment