Saturday, February 26, 2022

Bolludagsbollur 2022

My Icelandic carnival donuts 2022


To be honest - I didn't get around to baking this year. I would have had time, but the weather here in Iceland was so poor that I didn't do any specific bulk shopping. But on Thursday we were lucky, the weather was nice and we went out and then quickly popped into the small supermarket in Flúðir on the way back.

And there, in front of the cash registers, were these ready-made bottles that you could fill yourself - well, if that wasn't a sign of fate! So I at least took the “ vatnsdeigsbollur ” pack with me.


However, as I said, I successfully forgot the cream - we were already through the shop when we passed the baked goods. No matter, I then filled our bolludagsbollur with what I had there - which was fresh strawberries, a banana, a strawberry-banana skyr, chocolate shavings and coconut flakes.


So chopped strawberries, cut off a few slices of banana, and then squeezed the remaining banana and mixed it with the skyr along with the chocolate shavings and coconut flakes.


Then cut the bollur open, spread it neatly with strawberry jam, then put the Skyr mixture on top and finally top it with the chopped strawberries and banana slices; also sprinkled with some chocolate shavings and coconut flakes.


Then I put the bollur back together.

For the chocolate glaze, I mixed some powdered sugar with cocoa powder, ground vanilla and a spoonful of hot water and brushed the top of the bollur with the glaze.


It wasn't quite classic, without whipping cream, but it also tasted delicious - and with the fresh fruit it was really good!


On Saturday, however, the weather was unexpectedly good again - at least the weather was good enough that we were able to go into town and shop with a clear conscience - and we had real classic bolludagsbollur from the bakery, with chocolate and cream!


In this sense: Gleðilegan bolludag!

Happy Rose Monday everyone - and stuff yourself with the sweet stuff again if you want. Lent finally begins on Wednesday!





[Translated from here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment