Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Lýsisfiskur

Fish with cod liver oil


This is a recipe for a typical Icelandic winter meal from the old days. Back then, the thick fish porridge was spread on bread as a topping, like liver sausage, for example.

Otherwise it is the perfect use of leftovers for fish, beets and Lýsi (Icelandic cod liver oil). You just have to be careful to use the cod liver oil sparingly and not to put too much of it on the fish.

My husband had certain reservations at first, he eats fish, but he really doesn't like cod liver oil. But in this combination it actually tasted “harmless” and delicious!

PS: Especially now in the dark season, I like cod liver oil with lots of vitamins A, D and omega-3 fatty acids. I always notice when I get cracked skin on my hands in the winter - when I start using Lýsi, everything quickly gets better again. But to be honest, I'd rather take Lýsi tablets than a spoonful of pure cod liver oil... but I can now use up the cod liver oil for this fish porridge over the winter!


Ingredients

250 g cooked fish
200 g cooked beets
1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
1 pinch of pepper
1 Tbsp cod liver oil

Icelandic rye bread
(alternatively: pumpernickel)
butter

fresh dill


Preparation

Place the cooked fish and beets in a blender with the salt, pepper and cod liver oil and puree everything thoroughly.


Spread the rye bread with the butter, put the fish and beet mixture on top, garnish with a little fresh dill and then serve the sandwiches as a cold starter.






[Translated from here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment