This year, for various reasons, I unfortunately haven't gotten around to knitting Christmas presents as much as I would have liked.
First, I was on the Norröna and the Crime Cruise to Iceland and back in early November (although I had my knitting with me and at least managed to do a bit of knitting!), then I had dental problems, which turned out to be a result of my shoulder problems after my terrace fall in Iceland in the summer, afterwards I caught influenza A from my grandchild and was completely out of action at first... somehow, everything was going wrong!
But at least two Santa Claus sweaters as a gift for the offspring and a Santa Claus pot holder I did manage it for a friend after all – and on the first day of Christmas at noon, mine happened Christmas Slá (poncho) just managed to finish at the last minute...
Christmas sweater for the kids
I do like to knit for all my loved ones, and I also really enjoy knitting for my grandchild - however, the grandchild finds Icelandic sheep wool a bit scratchy and always has to wear something underneath. So this year I made her a Christmas sweater knitted out of Lopi Spuni - this is 100% merino wool, which is also sold by the Icelandic wool factory Álafoss in Mosfellsbær.
The wool has a running length of 95 meters per 50 g, so it is slightly thicker than Léttlopi wool, which has a running length of 100 meters per 50 g, but, just like Spuni, is also mostly knitted with needle sizes 4.5 to 5. So you can knit patterns for Léttlopi wool with Spuni wool as well, even though I somehow find knitted items made with Spuni to be "airier." But in return, they feel much softer and less scratchy – so perfect for the grandchild!
And while I was at it, I also knitted a Santa Claus sweater for my middle son, practically in a 'matching look,' only in dark and light blue instead of pink.
In the pictures, you can see how the pink sweater was created first; I then knitted the blue sweater, among other things, while traveling on the Norröna. The one photo of the child and grandchild wearing it is by the photographer – in the other picture from behind, my husband is wearing the Christmas sweater on behalf of our son. But I also like the picture – and the Christmas sweaters anyway!
A Christmas potholder with Santa Clauses
Besides, I at least still knitted a potholder for a friend for Christmas, in beige and white, with three Santas each on the front and back.
Unfortunately, I don't have a better photo of the potholder than this one with my Laufabrauð iron - but the Christmas present was well received by my girlfriend!
My Christmas-Slá 2025
And this here is my own new Christmas shawl, so my 'shoulder warmer' - knitted from black Icelandic Léttlopi wool and other wool, gold with glitter. I took the golden glitter wool double, then the yardage of the wool at 100 g corresponded approximately to the yardage of Léttlopi wool.
Somehow I was running behind schedule - I finished knitting on the afternoon of the first Christmas holiday, about 5 minutes before the first people arrived for Christmas dinner. Afterwards, my husband wondered why the crochet hook was still lying in the kitchen next to the sink - but I had actually already crocheted off and cut the last threads!
Somehow I was running behind schedule - I finished knitting on the afternoon of the first Christmas holiday, about 5 minutes before the first people arrived for Christmas dinner. Afterwards, my husband wondered why the crochet hook was still lying in the kitchen next to the sink - but I had actually already crocheted off and cut the last threads!
But anyway, it was enough - I was able to wear my golden Christmas Slá on the first day of Christmas!
Translated from here.














No comments:
Post a Comment