Friday, January 20, 2023

Bóndadagurinn

Man's Day


Supposedly, there is an old custom in Iceland that on this day, early in the morning, the master of the house has to hop around the farm three times barefoot and on one leg. In doing so, he wears only a shirt and a single trouser leg, while dragging the other trouser leg behind him. In return, his wife makes him happy with a particularly good meal, such as sourly pickled ram's testicles or singed sheep's head. Doesn't that sound tempting?!?

Bóndadagur - January 20th, 2023 

Bóndadagur is celebrated on the first day of the month Þorri. This month is the fourth winter month in the old Icelandic calendar. Þorri starts on Friday in the 13th week of winter (between 19th and 25th of January). This year, 2023, Bóndadagur falls on January 20th (2024: January 19th, 2025: January 24th). It the past it was mainly a farmer’s day. Nowadays it’s celebrated as husband’s day or man’s day.

The traditions around the Bóndadagur have only been handed down orally. The first written source about festivities on this day is a letter from 1728 to the Icelandic scholar Árni Magnússon. The name Bóndadagur can then be found in Jón Árnason’s Icelandic folk tales of 1862/64. Only from the twenties of the last century the term Bóndadagur can also be found in other written sources.

But, in fact, I’ve never seen a halfed-clothed man hopping around on that day. The old custom seems to be somehow forgotten.



With this in mind I wish you: 
Geðilegan bóndadag! 







1 comment:

  1. RECOVER YOUR SCAMMED BITCOIN WITH ULTIMATE HACKER JERRY.

    Hello everyone, I was a victim of bitcoin scam, I saw a glamorous review showering praises and marketing an investment firm, I reached out to them on their terms of investments and invested $155,000 which I was promised to get my first 15% profit in weeks, when it was time to retire my profits, I got to know the company was bogus, they kept asking me to invest more and I ran out of patience then requested to have my money back, they refused to answer nor refund my funds, not until an old family friend introduced me to Ultimate Hacker Jerry, I reached out and after submitting my case, Ultimate Hacker Jerry was swift to action and within 36 hours I got back my funds with the due profit. I couldn’t contain the joy in me. I urge you guys to reach out to Ultimate Hacker Jerry on their support email:  (Ultimatehackerjerry@seznam.cz)   or WhatsAp  +1(520)2 827151  ).
    don"t forget to mention Luke Curry Recommended you.

    ReplyDelete