Saturday, January 29, 2022

Uppáhaldsorð: Lyftiduft

My favorite Icelandic word: baking powder


One of my absolute favorite words in Icelandic is “lyftiduft”. It's the Icelandic word for "baking powder." So it's actually quite mundane - but it somehow sounds like a good mood, at least when I pronounce it: Lyfti scent.

Literally translated, “lyftiduft” simply means “lifting powder”. Finally, you add it when baking to "lift" the dough with the powder. Yes, that is fine...

In Iceland, this baking powder is sold in cardboard boxes with a plastic bag containing 200 g. I always brought this with me from Iceland, simply because it looks so beautifully Icelandic in photos!

I've now bought this in a tin - it looks pretty in the kitchen, don't you think?! Anyway, I like it!





[Translated from here.]

No comments:

Post a Comment